9 out of 10 CIO’s Report That They Have Concerns Over Insufficient Wireless Protection; Over One-Third of Enterprises Found to be Lacking Basic Wireless Security
This statement is hardly surprising given that more than one-third of the enterprise wireless networks put in place for internal employees, do not have the basic security function of authentication in place.
The findings come from an independent survey of over 1,490 IT decision makers at 250+ employee organizations around the world. All respondents were sourced from independent market research company Lightspeed GMI’s online panel.
Other survey highlights include:
- Nearly half of ITDMs (48%) consider loss of sensitive corporate and/or customer data the biggest risk of operating an unsecured wireless environment.
- 72% have adopted a cloud approach to management of their wireless infrastructure and 88% trust the cloud for future wireless deployment.
- 43% of ITDMs polled provide guest access on their corporate wireless networks; 13% of these organizations do so without any controls whatsoever.
Wireless Networks at Risk
According to the survey, wireless networks are ranked as the most vulnerable IT infrastructure, with the highest proportion of IT DMs (49%) placing it in their top two. Respondents positioned wireless as significantly more vulnerable than core networking infrastructure, with just 29% of IT DMs ranking this highly. Databases (25%), applications (17%) and storage (11%) infrastructures were considered amongst the least susceptible from a security standpoint.
In addition, 37% of global IT DMs polled do not have the most basic wireless security measure of authentication in place. A significant 29% and 39% of enterprises respectively, overlook firewall and anti-virus security functions when it comes to wireless strategies.
Other security measures deemed critical to core infrastructure protection, such as IPS (deployed by 41%), application control (37%) and URL filtering (29%), play a part in even fewer wireless deployments.
When considering the future direction of their wireless security strategies, the majority of respondents said they would maintain focus on the most common security features – firewall & authentication, while demand for more security is emerging with 23% prioritizing complementary technologies – IPS, anti-virus, application control and URL filtering – to guard against the full extent of the threat landscape.
Gain Control And Secure Your Wireless Networks With AirMagnet Enterprise
The most comprehensive 24×7 WIDS/WIPS WiFi Network and Cellular security solution.
AirMagnet Enterprise is a full-time wireless intrusion prevention system (WIPS), wireless intrusion detection system (WIDS) and wireless network security monitoring system that provides dedicated monitoring of the airspace to enable the security, performance and compliance of wireless LANs. AirMagnet Enterprise is used by organizations for the most complete WIPS and WIDS, remote network troubleshooting, enforcing no-wireless zones, and proving compliance.
- Dedicated wireless intrusion prevention system (WIPS) and wireless intrusion detection system (WIDS) with integrated spectrum and 802.11ac analysis for complete wireless network visibility
- SmartEdge, Series 4 Sensors Tri-Radio, 802.11n 2×2 and 3×3 MIMO plus dedicated Cellular Spectrum radio
- Dynamic Threat Update technology for immediate wireless intrusion prevention of new threats
- Automated PCI 3 and regulatory compliance reporting
- Automated Health Check pinpoints and diagnoses problems impacting WiFI connectivity, performance, and network security
- Forensic analysis and event triangulation for rapid response
AirMagnet Enterprise – Complete Cellular and Wireless Network Security
AirMagnet Enterprise protects against every wireless network security threat by combining the industry’s most thorough wireless intrusion detection system (WIDS) and wireless network security monitoring with leading research, analysis and security threat remediation.
Full Network Visibility
AirMagnet Enterprise scans all possible 802.11 wireless channels (including the 200 extended channels), and cellular spectrum channels ensuring there are no blind spots where rogue or interfering devices may be hiding.
AirMagnet Enterprise goes beyond WiFi network analysis with optional WiFi and cellular spectrum analysis that detects and classifies RF jamming attacks, Bluetooth devices and many other non-802.11 transmitter types, such as unapproved wireless cameras and cell phones.
Industry Leading Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) and Wireless Intrusion Detection System (WIDS)
The AirMagnet Intrusion Research Team constantly investigates the latest hacking techniques, trends and potential wireless network security vulnerabilities to keep organizations ahead of evolving wireless network security threats.
Dynamic Threat Update technology speeds the creation, automation and immediate deployment of new security threat signatures.
As soon as any new wireless network security threat definition is ready, it can be deployed with no impact to system operation, providing a unique framework for maintaining the most up-to-date wireless network security posture for the organizations.
Provides significant security protection over existing AP infrastructure
Security is not the APs primary focus, thus APs typically miss many security threats. AirMagnet Enterprise dedicated WIDS/WIPS solution provides peace of mind and assurance that your critical wireless network is protected full time, not part of the time like with APs.
- Part time scanning by built-in security solutions miss attacks
- AP is likely too slow and resource constrained to do the job right
- AP’s Integrated WIPS cover far fewer threats (usually <20% of threats) and require slow firmware upgrade to respond to new threats
- AP hardware can be limited by regulatory and configuration issues (cannot scan 200+ 5 GHz extended channels)
- If the AP is attacked, who monitors then?
Find Outages and Emerging Problems Before Users are Affected
AirMagnet Enterprise Automated Health Check (AHC) technology actively tests and verifies complete wireless LAN connectivity from the wireless link all the way through to application servers or the Internet, automatically detecting critical outages or network degradation while pinpointing the exact source of trouble. Sensors running AHC tests provide a true client perspective to:
- Fully authenticate to the network and proactively probe for problem related to wireless LAN security issues or other network resources.
- Provides network staff with immediate and specific information on the root cause, so they can respond often before users are impacted.
- Perform Captive Portal to verify guess wireless network
Automated Health Check (AHC)
Threat Tracing, Blocking & Mapping
Performance Monitoring and Remote Troubleshooting
Integrated 802.11n and Spectrum Intelligence
Automated Business and Regulatory Compliance Reporting
802.11ac Detection, Rogue Device Blocking, and Location