What is Mist?
Mist Systems, born in the mobile and cloud era, delivers the world’s first intelligent wireless network products that leverage machine learning. Using Mist, enterprises can provide amazing user experiences not possible before, and IT can proactively manage the network at any scale.
Indoor Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) are becoming the dominant internet access technologies at home, at work, and on the go.
Legacy Wi-Fi networks were built for the Connectivity Era, when basic Wi-Fi connectivity was good enough. An entirely new architecture is needed for the Experience Era, in which business-critical Wi-Fi and BLE and location-aware services are the norm
The mobile device is becoming the primary compute platform, fueling a new paradigm: business-critical wireless. Today’s wireless solution must be able to support an organization’s need to mobilize the enterprise and the explosive growth in mobile users, apps, and IoT devices.
Connectivity is just the start. Mobile users today expect reliable, rich and engaging indoor mobile experiences via their mobile device over Wi-Fi or BLE.
With the explosive growth of mobile and IoT devices on Wi-Fi and BLE, it’s impossible for network IT to gain insights into the mobile user’s experience by looking at dashboards. IT needs machine learning algorithms that can analyze vast amounts of data to provide actionable insights.
A Cloud Platform for Business-Critical Wireless and Location-Aware Experiences
Mobile has become the primary compute platform. For IT, it’s no longer just about providing pervasive Wi-Fi connectivity. It’s about delivering services over enterprise-grade Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) that deliver the amazing mobile experiences users expect, while enabling IT to proactively, easily manage any network at scale.
Mist’s solution consists of Mist Cloud, Business-Critical Wireless, and virtual Bluetooth Low Energy (vBLE™).
Mist’s AP41 delivers many industry-first features and benefits, including:
- Unprecedented location-aware services – vBLE array technology enables deployable location-aware services that until now have been impossible to deliver. The vBLE array is a 16-directional antenna and 1 omni-directional antenna array for BLE.
- Proactive network management – Industry-first Root Cause Analysis (RCA) enables IT to rapidly identify the root cause of issues that degrade user performance and experience and to see which users are affected.
- Intelligent, constant monitoring – Another industry-first, Mist’s Service Quality Assurance (SQA) lets IT set thresholds for service-level expectations such as coverage, capacity, roam times, and connection times. The system will constantly monitor user performance against these metrics.
- Identity-based routing – Mist’s WxLAN is a unique policy engine that automatically detects resources and lets IT map users to those resources, dramatically simplifying the policy enforcement realm of older architectures.
- Virtual IT assistant (Marvis) – Mist’s Network Rewind (NR) feature enables IT to play back all relevant metrics of the user service assurance in order to seamlessly correlate, understand and troubleshoot user issues.
- Machine learning to reduce time, effort – With Mist’s machine learning, the system dynamically captures PCAP files whenever issues are detected with user connections, performance or application experiences. IT saves time and effort by always having the data on when a problem occurred.
- Dynamic debugging – Dynamic debugging constantly monitors services running on the AP41 and alerts IT whenever a service behaves abnormally. Dynamic debugging relieves IT of having to worry about an AP going offline or any services running on it becoming unavailable.
- Continuous threat scanning – A third, dedicated dual-band radio automatically collects Radio Frequency (RF) analysis data. By continuously scanning for threats and interference, the AP41 delivers optimal performance under what could otherwise be challenging RF conditions.
- Cloud-based setup and updates – The AP41 automatically connects to the cloud, downloads its configuration, and joins the appropriate network. Firmware updates are retrieved and installed automatically, ensuring that the network is always up to date with new features, bug fixes, and the latest security updates.
- Prioritised applications and limits – A layer 7 firewall with application inspection classification and controls enables IT to identify and prioritise the most important user applications while denying or limiting other applications (such as video streaming) based on business relevance.
- Advanced analytics – Advanced Wi-Fi and BLE analytics provide IT and Line of Business with a deep understanding of user behavior at venues and enterprise premises. A variety of user datasets provides insights into users probing and/or connected, dwell times, zone transitions and zone comparisons.
Mist Cloud Features & Benefits
Mist’s microservices Cloud platform is the first fundamentally new approach to wireless in nearly a decade—an extensible, programmable microservices cloud architecture for indoor wireless technologies, including Wi-Fi and BLE.
- SaaS agility for upgrades & patches – Mist Cloud’s microservices architecture brings the agility of Software as a Service (SaaS) to wireless networks for the first time. It enables on-demand network upgrades and patches within minutes (vs. months with legacy wireless networks).
- Machine learning for optimal experiences – Mist’s patent-pending machine learning algorithms adapt in real-time to changes in user, device and application behavior in various network deployments and wireless environments, helping to ensure optimal user experiences with minimal IT involvement.
- Machine learning for real-time management – Mist’s machine learning algorithms monitor network trends and intelligently alert IT about degradation in user experiences. Problems are identified in real-time at an unprecedented scale, allowing a proactive solution instead of the typical reactive problem-solving.
- Built on modern cloud elements – Mist Cloud is built on modern cloud elements such as Storm, for highly responsive, real-time processing; Spark, for machine learning and next-generation automation; and Kafka, for handling messages at scale.
- Ideal for personalisation and engagement – Mist Cloud-enabled services are ideally suited to industries that need a high degree of personalization and engagement with end users via location-aware services, such as airports, healthcare, hotels and hospitality, retailers, restaurants, museums, education, and casinos.
Mist vBLE Services
Mist vBLE advances location-based wireless services with industry-first virtual beacons, enabling organizations to easily deliver amazing mobile experiences to users.
This is a game changer: Virtual beacons can be moved with a mouse click. They provide the same user engagement functionality as physical beacons, but without the problems of physical beacons.
The foundation of Mist’s vBLE is a real-time, distributed micro-services architecture that provides extremely low-latency location estimates at high scale. This is critical for use cases such as wayfinding, where real-time updates are necessary for a positive user experience.